Short Time Prostitutes
Prostitutes can be had for "shorttime", which is typically for up to two hours plus round trip transit time to the local short time hotel. Alternatively, they can be taken for "longtime", to sleep with you in your home or hotel, for a domestic vacation to the beach or ancient ruins, to a movie and dinner, etc.
Mainstream Thai girls are not available in a sex-for-money arrangement. I've sometimes heard guys say that in Thailand you can take girls off the street for a shorttime sex encounter. This practically never happens. The only place you're going to get a shorttime girl is in a place with prostitutes. Outside of those places, you will get only negative (and usually harsh) reactions from a proposition. It is important that you know when you're in a prostitution area and when you are outside it. Any lady smiling at you outside a prostitution area usually does not have sex on her mind at all, just like in any other country.
There are various kinds of places to meet face to face for the first time and pick up a prostitute:
- Go-go bars or Beer Bars (organized employees and approved associates)
- Freelancer pickup joints (any lady can come and go)
- Massage parlors
- Street meat (street walkers, sitters)
This page also covers some things about purchasing their services - the general rules of engagement
(The above photo is from the 1990s, a legendary place in Soi Cowboy that was a landmark until the expat owner died and then the real estate occupant was replaced with another of the same sort but not so provocative and crude in language.)
The following is only a brief overview, for those who need a guide to orient them to the rules and customs so that you will be able to go practically anywhere and know what to do.
There are other websites which give you a lot more detailed information on which places are most popular, various experiences and recommendations. Some of these are listed at the end of this web page.
Go-go bars are beer bars with girls as fulltime employees. These places are defined by the following:
- The girls are fulltime employees of the bar and work the same daily schedule
- If you take the girl outside of the bar, you must pay an established, non-negotiable "bar fine" to the bar (e.g., 500 baht), in addition to what you pay the girl
- You pay the girl separately for the sexual encounter, as you negotiate with the girl (e.g., 1-2000 baht, more or less)
- The girls are not required to go with any man who wants them, but can choose of their own free will whether to go with you
- Most go-go bars are the pole dancer variety, and the ladies take turns dancing in shifts, while fraternizing with customers during their breaks
- They usually wear a swimsuit or less, and nudity on stage is common, both top and bottom
The girls are paid a small salary to work at the bar, equivalent to entry level factory work. In addition, they make some money on "lady drinks", i.e., if you buy then a coke or orange juice, they get a small commission. If they go out for sex, they keep all of that money, except the bar fine which is usually kept in full by the establishment that employs them. Some such establishments have a quota on how many times a girl must be "bar fined" per month in order to remain employed and get her salary, e.g., 8 times.
Many of these bars have scheduled sex shows of various sorts. Male-female sex shows are quite rare, but "lesbian" shows are common (and obviously robotic acting without feeling). There are also other shows involving bananas, fire dances, and a lot of stuff I'd rather not describe here as it gets long...
They usually have no door as the entrance is instead a hanging curtain, and they are always air-conditioned. You walk in, find a place to sit down, and a waitress serves you whatever you want to drink. Beer is usually priced reasonably by western standards, between $2 and $4. There is no cover charge, and your drinks charge is all you owe them. However, if a lady sits down to you and orders a drink, just a coke or orange juice can be at the same price as an alcoholic drink, the so-called "lady drinks". The girls take turns dancing on the stage for a few songs at a time and mixing with the men sitting down.
Go-go bars are usually found in a few entertainment complexes. In Bangkok, the farang oriented dancing go-go bars are found in:
- Patpong (between Silom and Surawongse Rds.), very touristy
- Nana Entertainment Plaza (NEP) (Sukhumvit soi 4), more ex-pat
- Soi Cowboy (between Sukhumvit soi 23 and 21), more ex-pat
Beer Bars, Pool Halls, Restaurants with Ladies To Go
If the place doesn't have pole dancers, then I call it a "beer bar", if it's not a pool hall or restaurant. In any case, this category still has the same rules of a go-go bar:
- fulltime employees on small salaries and maybe commissions for selling drinks, for at least subsistence, but who may try to make most of their money selling sex, though they may seem more choosy about the men they go with
- bar fines
- lady drinks
Many of these places are open air with no air conditioning, but most now have air conditioning (unlike when I first arrived here).
While these places are scattered around everywhere between Sukhumvit sois 1 and 33, their main "row" concentrations are:
- Sukhumvit soi 4 (Nana) outside Nana Plaza and running well down the soi (big)
- Sukhumvit soi 7/1 (medium)
- Sukhumvit soi 8 (small)
- Sukhumvit soi 22 - Queens Park Entertainment Complex, and Washington Square (medium)
- Sukhimvit soi 33 - "the artist bars" (the first bars were named after renaissance artists) and much more (big, pricier)
There are other go-go bars outside of the farang areas (which usually aren't called "go-go" but which are essentially defined by the above 4 rules), but I do not cover them here. You would need to be able to speak Thai at those places, and if you can speak Thai, then you have been here long enough to find those places. They are where Thai guys go.
Freelance Pick-Up Joints
These establishments have the following in common:
- The girls are not employees of the bar, but are allowed to hang out there even if they don't consume food or drink, because they attract farang male customers who do buy drinks and food
- The girls are free to come and go as they wish, any days, any times, unlike employees of other places
- You do not pay the establishment anything for the girl -- no bar fine
- All prices and terms are negotiated solely between you and the girl
- If anything goes wrong, you don't have any management to turn to, though it's not common that things go wrong
The main freelance pick-up joints are:
- The German beer garden on Sukhumvit soi 7, afternoon to approx. midnite
- Gullivers, Sukhumvit soi 5, a nice pub and restaurant with some better dressed ladies
- Thermae, under Ruamchit Hotel near Sukhumvit soi 15, starts up very late, approx. 11pm onwards
- Angels disco in Nana Hotel, Sukhumvit soi 4, approx. 11pm to 2am
- Grace Hotel, soi 3, ~10pm to 2am, was a Vietnam War haunt but now popular with Middle Eastern and Indian men, with some ladies from countries speaking Russian or related languages
- Hard Rock Cafe (ground floor has some freelancers, but don't mistake the mainstreamers there)
- Vibrations disco (mixed mainstream and some freelancers) under Novotel Siam Square, approx. 10pm to 2am
- Spasso, under Erawan Hotel, has some looks-like-high-class freelancers in the mix, 7pm to 2am
- Patpong has a few places, beer bar starting early evening, discos starting later than bars
There are some other places, but the above are the best known and most populous.
You should note that the streets get crowded after 2am when the girls who work at go-go bars get off work, and hoardes of them freelance at that time.
The closing times vary according to the political climate. When I arrived in 1994, many places didn't close until sunrise. As political winds have changed, closing times have occasionally been rolled back to as early as midnight, but usualy at 1am to 2am during typical times, though some fairly hidden ones stay open until sunrise (and allegedly pay off police handsomely).
The main advantages of the above freelance pick-up places are:
- No bar fine to the establishment, i.e., lower overall cost
- If you have a protracted relationship, these girls are not obligated to return to the bar on their daily schedule (especially useful for travelling together)
- If you have a protracted relationship, you wouldn't have to pay repeated "bar fines" for every day she's away, only your negotiated daily rate for the girl
- Some of the girls in freelance places have not been in prostitution for long and have never worked in any other kind of prostitution establishment nor would they (though many others have been in prostitution for very long and have "graduated" to the level of freelancer)
The main disadvantage of these places is:
- The girls are unaccountable if they do anything bad to you, unlike registered employees
The vast majority of cases of theft and druggings come from girls picked up at freelance places. While most girls at these places are safe, and these reports are not common (e.g., most guys who habitually take freelancers never get robbed or drugged), nonetheless, the ones who are thieves generally work at these places, and on any given day there are usually some present. On the other hand, the professional thieves tend to go after tourists rather than take a risk with anyone who lives in Thailand and whom they would have a high chance of running into again in the future.
Typical price starts at 1000 baht for shorttime, more or less, but it's often more, sometimes much more, as in thousands of baht. However, some girls will not state a price, but leave it up to your generosity. This does not mean they are free. They may be shy to ask for a price. It is also a custom in some circles to politely leave the generosity up to you.
If you take them longtime, back to your home, you generally should not expect maid service. Some will offer it, and if they iron your shirts, clean your dishes, etc., then you should tip them well. Usually, if you want this then you should request it well in advance and negotiate a total fee. Some will be willing, but most won't. This is for freelancers. For bargirls, they would usually refuse. Most just want to make some quick and easy money on their backs like a silicone doll.
Massage parlors, or "ab op newut" in Thai, are establishments which have the following:
- The girls are fulltime employees of the parlor and work the same daily schedule
- The ladies are sitting in a show room behind glass ("fish bowl") wearing numbers, and you choose one (no talk in advance)
- The lady takes you to a room inside the establishment for your encounter, not outside
- You pay one established fee for everything, non-negotiable, and typically 1500-2500 baht in advance
- The girls ARE required to go with whichever man who wants them, and cannot choose of their own free will whether or not to go with whoever chooses them
- The room inside where there is a big tub bath and a bed
- The usual routine is the girl bathes you, applies a condom, gives you oral sex and/or gives you a soapy massage with her breasts and/or and slides down to intercourse and/or continues on the bed
These places should not be confused for "traditional massage" places. The latter are real massage, not including sex. The sex-massage places normally do not include a real massage whereby "massage" is a misnomer (except they do massage one particular organ).
These establishments are more popular for Asians than for westerners, though many westerners frequent these places as well.
When you walk in the door, you will see girls sitting together in a central section for viewing behind a large glass window. They may be wearing swimsuits or some special uniform linguerie unique to that establishment. They are all wearing a unique number. You decide which one you want and tell the man who has the microphone. He calls the number and you meet near the cashier. You pay your money and she brings you to the room for the above routine. Note: You do not talk to the girl before deciding to take her.
The slang phrase for these places is "fish bowl", whereby you choose which fish to scoop out of the bowl.
A few can be found in the Patpong area, and there are a few standing alone in scattered places down sois on Sukhumvit. These places are few and far between in the expat / tourist areas because most westerners prefer to chat up ladies first. sex massage places are by far the most popular in the Thai entertainment zones up Ratchadapisek, down Petchburi, and in the Phaya Thai region. However, you can find massage places all over Bangkok, and indeed can usually find at least one in almost all major towns, and many small towns. I've occasionally seen them in the middle of nowhere between cities. Just see a lit up place on the side of the road, and there are ladies sitting there with numbers on, with a shophouse above, apparently appealing to men driving by!
There are many taxi and tuk-tuk drivers with glossy brochures of massage parlors. The selection of girls in the parlors are almost never as nice looking as the girls in the photo in the brochure. However, girls in massage parlors are often prettier than girls in bars, since the massage girls are successful based solely on their looks, whereas girls in bars can interact with customers first and apply their charms. Notably, since Thai men like white skinned girls, then practically all massage parlors that cater mainly to Thai men will have girls with whiter skin on average than bars in farang areas. In fact, most girls in farang area bars consider themselves dark skinned, and many Thai guys think the foreigners get the worst ladies. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder (or in the eyes of the beer holder, as the corollary goes).
These are "street walkers" (but usually just standing or sitting) who simply hang out on the street, usually around bus stops but sometimes outside some discos, along tourist beach fronts, and the occasional strip, and pick up guys on the street. Most are very overt about what they do, but some are disguised prostitutes as discussed elsewhere.
You should view them with the same precautions which apply to freelancers.
In Bangkok, you will see them in the parking lot of Nana Hotel across the street from Nana Plaza, and all along the north side of Sukhumvit Road intermittently between soi 3/1 and soi 19.
Many of these ladies do shorttime for as little as 500 baht, but most start at around 1000 baht and can ask for a lot more. These are the rock bottom prices for Sukhumvit.
There are Thai street walker zones in various other places which are not oriented to foreigners but are frequented by Thai men. I can mention some main ones in the past if you want to see that phenomenon, but I don't know whether or not they're still there since they are not in commercial places where I tend to go anyway such as Sukhumvit. Some of these places are mainly drive by, whereby you will see Thai men driving past in their cars slowly to take a look at the ladies and sometimes stop and chat a little. However, I have observed that there isn't a lot of chatting, unlike in foreigner places, and it looks like a pick-em-up and go "slam bam thanka maam" sort of arrangement, like with Thai fish bowl massage places.
You can see some of this right around Lumpini Park.
There was a big place, almost causing a traffic jam sometimes from its popularity, a short ways from Sukhumvit. Go up Asoke (Sukhumvit 21) to Petchburi Rd., turn right onto Petchburi, and continue along Petchburi for about 200 meters. It starts around the next large road which doesn't have much traffic but is multiple lane from the expressway, and goes kind've in a 180 degree loop around the block, down the next major road (parallel to Petchburi) going back west towards Makkasan. The third row is the biggest and most extensive. I have no idea what the prices are here, nor do I know any expats who have taken anything from here in about 10 years. There used to be a place called the Siam Hotel there which was popular in the 1990s and had a large coffee shop and restaurant with vast selection of women inside. Some Thai engineer co-workers first brought me there. It was comparable to Thermae but much bigger. Being so close to Sukhumvit, it's surprising that foreigners have always been rare there, but there's no continuous commercial strip, so it's like an oasis of pistil separated by a desert of deserted sidewalk.
Buying sex - The Rules of Engagement
When you are interested in taking a girl from a go-go bar, you have two choices:
- "Short time", up to two hours at a shorttime hotel plus transit time
- "Long time", i.e., bring her back to your home or hotel overnight
You should know that some high end hotels don't allow prostitutes into the hotel with guests for security and/or image reasons. However, most do allow the girls in, though usually the girl has to drop off her ID card at reception, which she can pick up when she leaves. Hotels which allow prostitutes to go to customers' rooms are called "guest friendly".
Shorttime hotels generally do not ask for the girl's ID card, and they exist solely for shorttime sexual liaisons.
Short Time Hotels
There are a few shorttime hotels inside Patpong. On Sukhumvit, they are located both inside and outside of the bar complexes. Thai ladies there will know. On Sukhumvit, farang favorites are:
- Playboy (PB) Hotel on "the green route" near soi 3, rooms a little bit stylish but no bathroom door
- A few down soi Sukhumvit 4 side alleys about 3 or 4 times the distance beyond Nana Plaza, reportedly in poor shape
- Star Hotel on soi 7/1
- A shorttime hotel above Thermae by the corner of soi 15 (Ruanchit Plaza)
- A shorttime hotel immediately outside Soi Cowboy on the soi 21 side
- A very cheap and run down shorttime hotel on soi 22 down a side alley across the street from Queens Park Entertainment Center (named Hotel 22?)
Shorttime hotels are actually located all around Bangkok and Thailand, but most foreigners are interested in only the ones in the expat area. In Thai areas, they are used less by prostitutes and more by Thai people who live with their parents and want some "private time" together with a regular girlfriend, and also for "minor wives" (i.e., protracted extramarital relationships). They are mostly the same everywhere in Thailand, though there are some exceptional boutique and "theme" ones in certain places which make all the shorttime hotels in the Sukhumvit area look really clueless.
Rates typically vary between 250 and 350 baht for shorttime, but can be much higher for the nicer hotels. The usually allotted time is 2 hours. However, if you want to take all two hours then you should make this clear to the girl beforehand, because many guys have complained that their girl wanted a quick sexual encounter and then to return to the bar. Also, it's been increasingly reported that the hotel people come knocking at the door after just 1 hour, so you should ask them for the time period before paying.
Some bars in Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy have a place in the upstairs or back of the bar where you can go for a quickie for a few hundred baht (of course not including the lady's fee). The Soi Cowboy bars are all converted shophouses where some of the ladies live anyway, so some bars allow you to go upstairs for a quickie. However, most bars do not have this offer of purely internal service. (I know a guy who was brought upstairs in soi Cowboy, and she took him to a bed right next to her sleeping infant in a crib, move over nanny. Typical story of a deadbeat Thai dad, which drove this lady to make quick money parttime to feed her baby and herself.)
Typical lady price is 1000 to 1500 baht for shorttime, more or less, but I've been reading that girls are now demanding 2000 baht and up. However, some girls will not state a price, but leave it up to your generosity. This does not mean they are free. They may be shy to ask for a price. It is also a custom in some circles to politely leave the generosity up to you. This is more common with freelancers (see below) than bar girls, but occurs both ways. The main point here is that they aren't free just because they didn't state a price beforehand.
In Patpong, you should not go to any second floor places unless you are accompanied by another farang who knows which second floor places which are safe. Many of the second floor places are traps. They will give you an exhorbitant bill contrary to verbal agreements and block the way to the door with big guys. If you ever find yourself in this predicament, do not fight, just negotiate and pay your bill, try to get a receipt, and go straight to the tourist police on Surawongse Road. You might be able to get some of your money back. Again, this is a problem in Patpong, not on Sukhumvit.
Photos of a typical shorttime hotel.
You should know that some high end hotels don't allow prostitutes into the hotel with guests for security and/or image reasons. However, most do allow the girls in, though usually the girl has to drop off her ID card at reception, which she can pick up when she leaves. Shorttime hotels do not ask for the girl's ID card.
There is a lot of discussion on the Internet on the topic of Thai prostitution. This is where I have to leave you to find your own information, as I'd rather not go into more detail, and I'm not an expert anyway. Some of the sources are a lot more knowledgeable than other sources. Many of the guys here seem to like to brag about how cheaply they got a girl (or for free) and how great she was/is. Take all this with a grain of salt, as you will find if you're new here. When you meet those guys in person, you won't believe many of them, as they tend to be braggarts and have delusions of grandeur about their charms. There are a lot of narcissistic people in this world who can't see well past their own noses.
A popular website that discusses the nightlife is www.StickmanBangkok.com
I recommend the book titled Thai Tourism by the author Erik Cohen. You can find it in Asia Books. It is a white book published by White Lotus, a company which publishes many other fine books on Thai culture. You want to read the last third of the book on "Open-Ended Prostitution". An extract of the book is quoted on the website www.freelancerbar.com/The%20Girls/academic.htm
> Thai Girlfriends > Prostitutes, Bargirls and Shorttime
Copyright 1999 -
2022 by Mark Evan Prado, All Rights Reserved.
Notably, I get quickly notified of copies of tracts by the CopyScape / CopySentry automatic search engine & notifier.
Short quotes are often OK and can be approved, if there is a clear reference and web link back to my website from the quoted material, and if you send me a short message. I try to help people with good intentions, and try to help the world. Not thieves. Links back to this website are helpful for sustainable progress, thank you!
Please have honor and class by following intellectual property and internet protocols. Be a good kind of person in life.
Services discussed on Thailand Guru are provided by our friendly staff in our family of 3 companies:
Lucky Lion Pride Co., Ltd., centrally located on Sukhumvit soi 2
Prado Property Co., Ltd. co-located on Sukhumvit soi 2
Export Quality Services Co., Ltd., co-located on Sukhumvit soi 2
Led by two longtime expats from the USA and New Zealand
and supported by many good, skilled longtime Thai staff,
customers usually find us a delight to work with.
Please click here for how to contact us
Please make an appointment before stopping by.
Ploymitr Bldg., Floor 7
Sukhumvit soi 2
Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110 THAILAND
© Copyright 1999-
2022 by Mark Prado, All Rights Reserved.
More information on Thailand and some surrounding countries can be found in the Travels section of the personal website of Mark Prado, the author of ThailandGuru.com
DISCLAIMER: Although efforts have been made to ensure the information on this website was correct at the time of electronic publication, ThailandGuru and all its associates do not assume and hereby disclaim any liability to any party for any loss or damage caused by errors, omissions or misleading information resulting from negligence, accident or any other cause. If you choose to take any of this advice, it is at your own risk and no other entity's. ThailandGuru and its associates will take no responsibility. The only thing we guarantee is that our website information can take bandwidth, memory and/or disk space, at least temporarily. Guru is relative.
Menu: Site Map